February 22, 2009

oh my, pigeon?

At lunch yesterday, a pigeon walked up to me and my friend Leah. Easily distracted, I redirected our conversation to the fact that doves are pigeons. This fact always amuses me because in Christianity the Holy Spirit (aka: the spirit of God) is usually depicted by a dove. And if doves are pigeons, then the Spirit of God is a dirty bird. Pigeons are pretty much at the bottom of the hierarchy of birds. I know this is blasphemy, but a devout person could stretch my pigeon fact to fit Christianity by saying - the truly religious are humble and do not value material things... like pigeons on the street.

Scientifically, getting a pure white pigeon does take some time, but they are still pigeons. Leah said that this is why she is Jewish.


Wikipedia's description: Pigeons and doves constitute the family Columbidae within the order Columbiformes, which include some 300 species of near passerine birds. In general parlance the terms "dove" and "pigeon" are used somewhat interchangeably. In ornithological practice, there is a tendency for "dove" to be used for smaller species and "pigeon" for larger ones, but this is in no way consistently applied.

There are lots of things misunderstood about religion, just look at current events!! One of my favorites, besides the pigeon, is the Cross of St. Peter (known as the Petrine Cross). It is believed that when St. Peter was sentenced to be crucified he requested to be crucified upside down so he would not die in the same manner as Christ. However, some people believe that inverting the cross makes it the opposite of Christianity. So often you will see St. Peter's cross as a Satanic/anti-Christian image. If only those Satanists went to bible school.

Here is another adorable animal video to follow the kitten video I posted yesterday. This is by far the cutest animal video I have ever seen because it doesn't involve creepy family members or strange dialogue/music. Instead, it includes a variety of baby animals and Samsung phones!!! It is part of a new viral marketing campaign. But this does raise the question: what are humans suppose to do with this phone? Because I am definitely too big to use it as a dance floor or a computer monitor. As much as I love this video, it would have been better if iPhones were used.

No comments: