February 5, 2009

grey skies laughing at me


California weather can be pretty remarkable. However, during winter, southern California struggles with it's lack of actual seasons and goes through a sort "seasonality crisis." This can result in 90 degrees one day and a tsunami the next. Today is one of those random days. This morning was cool and grey like many mornings are, but I expected it to warm up like the day before. My assumption left me soaked, in sandals, and in a light (worthless) sweater. My bike was unridable in the storm so I returned home on a crowded USC tram. For those of you that are use to severe weather, don't laugh! I can handle the cold. The problem is that California weather does not allow for foresight. If I knew how to prepare for these days I would be less damp and reasonably content.

The best part of a rainy day is creating a good soundtrack - something appropriate like The Doors. There is nothing better than enjoying good music while remaining cozy in a dry apartment. Also, I simply love my apartment. I have transformed it into a nice personal escape outfitted with, well, the most random stuff you will ever see.

I have a safe disguised as Marx's Das Kapital.
I have a rubik's cube alarm clock.
I have two hermit crabs named Sir Lancelot and Kashmir (as in the Led Zeppelin song).
I have a pillow shaped like a log.
And more.

I love design, I love current events, and I love novelty items. And a strange combination of the three has thrown up all over my apartment due to my odd internal urge to personalize everything. This morning Mark and I began a debate about who has the best room. I believe I do, hands down. I don't need turntables, I don't DJ... people DJ for me! :)

Some shots of my room courtesy of my iPhone, Sid:

Mickey Mao = ironic and random. Why I have it? I don't know. Kim Il Sung and I share a birthday. You make the far fetched connections.

Books, books... and a fake chandelier? Yes.

Giant, self-adhesive, removable decals from Blik. It spells typography. What's your favorite font?

And the poster wall. A collection that began freshman year with Jimi.

No comments: