February 25, 2009

ahhh sensory overload


I just got back from the LA Opera and my senses are overwhelmed. I can not focus on anything right now because my mind is flooded with the imagery and sounds from Das Rheingold, the first installment in Richard Wagner's Ring cycle. I had no idea what this opera was about but I was thrilled to attend because I like any type of entertainment: lowbrow, highbrow... nobrow... I just like to experience new things.

And I am glad I did, because Das Rheingold was GENUINE EPIC STAGE MAGIC!

When it comes to operas, I generally enjoy ones with notably beautiful music. Consider "Nessun Dorma" from Turnadot, or "Hell's vengeance boils in my heart" from the Magic Flute, or my favorite, "Habanera" from Carmen (below).



Das Rheingold didn't have any notable arias, in my opinion (which is not very informed when it comes to operas), but the opera was sung beautifully and the entire performance was a visual spectacular.

(the photographs below do not accurately capture the magic of this opera, but it provides a taste)




There were giant neon lights that spanned the width of the stage.
There was a sea made of flowing fabric that came to life by the movements of about a dozen extras.
Loge, the fire god, wore red Chuck Taylors. (Awesome!)
The reflections in the water were created by additional people that mirrored the main actors' actions. (See the first photo in the set of 3 above)
Colorful lights were projected onto a screen that covered the stage.
I can't explain it without a huge plot recap, but there were lightsabers!!!
The costume designs were magnificent sculptures, similar to the costumes seen in the Across the Universe scene with Mr. Kite.

There is no way I can be brief when describing Das Rheingold, it was too outrageous and there were so many fantastic details. But to put it simply - the set/plot is a hybrid of Lord of the Rings, Pan's Labyrinth, and the Beatles' Yellow Submarine. The music was ominous and strong, but at times it sounded like a hybrid of 2001: A Space Odyssey's "Atmospheres" by Gyorgy Ligeti and an army bugle call, like the church call. The fantasy of it was very similar to Cirque du Soleil.

Marvelous! Please go see Das Rheingold.

No comments: