February 9, 2009

case of the Monday's

I miss the weekend already.

The rain prevented a lot of things this weekend, like swimming, wearing shorts, absorbing vitamin D, and stilt walking - but I did accomplish a lot of things while staying in my apartment because I am a chronic multitasker (besides when I read - I need utter silence). During my multitasking, I had HBO on in the background. At one point The Deer Hunter came on. I had never seen this movie before!!! I was a little shocked because I pride myself in my movie knowledge. Lisa, my roommate last year, called me her personal blockbuster. So, quickly getting over my disappointment in myself, I watched the movie. INCREDIBLE! De Niro, Cazale, Walken, Streep... a great cast! I am still particularly amused by the Can't take my eyes off you bar scene. There was definitely enough cow bell.

I also watched the Grammys in my dry apartment. The Grammys is always an entertaining, but seeing the Trojan Marching Band play with Radiohead was incredible. I am so happy to be a Trojan. (FIGHT ON!!) If only I was in the marching band, because that experience would almost make my life complete. Too bad I don't play an insturment. I did try to, kind of - a little guitar here, a little piano there, almost a little flute and harp there, but nope no success.

When it was dry this weekend I did manage to make it out to an art show and a movie at the Grove.

The art show was AIGA'S EMERGE LA Student Design Exhibition, and I was featured in it. AIGA is the professional association for design. The show displayed student designs from 13 different schools. Is was quite an honor to be in the show. Also, a bunch of my friends came to support me which made my weekend. I didn't think they were coming so it was quite a surprise when they arrived. Unfortunately, they arrived after the awards ceremony so there was no suspense in finding out that I didn't win, but my friend John did... CONGRATS!!!

PS - That's my poster in the background!

At the Grove, I saw Taken. It has been out since January 30th and it is currently second at the Box Office.

So what I thought...


AhhhhhhHAHAHAHAHAHAhahaha...

I laughed during most of the movie due to the ridiculous plot and Liam Neeson's bad-ass-ery. I like unrealistic action thrillers, but this was too much.

Here is this script - literally word for word, I promise! :)
(warning spoiler - but if you can't figure out the plot from the poster you are an idiot)

Happy Birthday daughter.
Thanks dad for the Karaoke machine.
Oh, nvm, my step-dad just got me a pony!!! WEEEEEEEE
Dad, can I go to France?
Only if I can embed a GPS chip into your head. Ok, too much, but a cell phone will do.
Heyyy cute French man!
Oh no, there are people in the apartment! Daddy help.
The next part is difficult. They will take you.
AHHHHHHHHHHHH.
I WILL KILL YOU.
Where is my daughter?
** 5 hours of Liam Neeson punching, chasing, killing, shooting... the entire Albanian sex slave ring.
Daddy, you came for me!
Of course, I love you.
Now take some singing lessons with a celebrity.
Do you love me more than your step-dad now?

Neeson, (aka Qui-Gon Jinn, aka voice of Aslan, aka Jean Valijean, aka GOD), gives any movie credibility, even this cliche action explosion. It is an entertaining movie, but this retired "preventer," was an unstoppable force that had almost no legal issues after making a mess in France (so absurd). Granted, after taking a class on Espionage and Intelligence I have become a harsher critic of intelligence films, but sometimes it really is too ridiculous. Sorry if you were in my theater and heard me and Andrew laugh the entire time.

That was my weekend, minus being up late Sunday night to begin campaigning for Undergraduate Student Government elections. I have been helping Owen + Maya in their campaign for president and vice president. I am their "design/events person." Check out some of the pictures from the big night.

With the two candidates (both on the right) in the shirts I designed.

All the volunteers that showed up last night.

The platform cards I designed.

One more thing...

Bill Gates unleashed a swarm of mosquitoes at the TED conference. Bwahahaha.

No comments: