March 2, 2009

carpe diem

Oh man, what a week. I definitely seized a few days.

Monday - John's 23rd birthday on the 23rd
Tuesday - Trojan Idol and Date Auction
Wednesday - LA Opera
Thursday - USC vs. UCLA men's club volleyball game
Friday - Red Cross recognition dinner and DChi Party
Saturday - DTD Philanthropy and Crew-a-palooza
Sunday - Dinner with my Dad

And because of all that I am up late doing homework.

I just finished a painting for class. I am in painting 1, not because I haven't painted before but because I haven't painted in about 4 years. I thought I could use a good refresh and I miss painting. Also, this is the first time I have painted with oil. I only used acrylic in high school because it was cheap and readily available.

The painting I finished is for an assignment where we had to copy a famous painting. The purpose of this project is to help students with recognizing/creating colors and also to help with drawing what is observed. It is a valuable assignment for any artist. It is like a good warm-up.

For the assignment, I picked Georgia O'Keefe's "Oriental Poppies" (below). I like the painting and I thought it would be a nice gift for my mom. She always asks me to paint something for her, but I haven't had the time until now. Also, I have been to the Georgia O'Keefe museum several times when visiting my grandparents in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I appreciate the delicacy and texture of O'Keefe's paintings and I wanted the challenge of recreating her work.


My paintings in high school were usually mixed media and pretty abstract, so it was nice to paint something a little different. Below are two of my high school paintings and my completed O'Keefe painting. The copy is a little "squished" in comparison to the original because of the canvas proportions, but other than that, I am pretty happy with it.





...I should really stop procrastinating with my blog. Back to homework!

No comments: