May 28, 2009

Barça, Barça, Barça!

That is the response I got as I walked down the street in my Barcelona jersey yesterday. It is part of the Cant del Barca. Well, clearly I only got that response from Barca fans, I won't even mention the screams I got from Manchester United fans. I happen to live near the Man. United meeting spot. Not so good. 

When I planned my trip to Rome I only considered two things: my desire to visit Rome again/study abroad and my desire to really learn Italian. I didn't even consider such crazy events like the Champions League final! I met some guys from Canada and Virginia that flew to Rome just for the final, and they didn't even have tickets!!! Yeah, I lucked out. 

When I went to class on Friday, I saw this on the Spanish steps!


My class was interrupted by random cheers in the streets. Despite my inability to focus and learn, it was fantastic. I have an exam tomorrow so I am not going to write much, but things are still incredible. I have explored more of the city and have met more locals. 

I watched the game yesterday in Campo dei Fiori with a bunch of Barcelona fans. Unfortunately, there was no viewing at the Coliseum. Roman authorities really cracked down on security... most bars were shut down and all locations were prevented from selling liquor 2 hours before the game. I was afraid of being stabbed so the security was good, in fact it kept things quite tame so it was almost disappointing. But it wasn't!!! The game was great. Everyone was in good spirits. And after we walked to the Spanish steps to continue the celebration. It was an incredible night. 




Tomorrow I have an exam in the morning and wine tasting in the evening. Saturday and Sunday I will be in the Florence area. 

Ciao! 

No comments: