May 6, 2009

working for the weekend

One more final until I am a senior! That explains why I have been absent from my blog. Technically, I have been a senior for a while (according to units), but I won't consider myself a senior until I am in my fourth year of school. Some people graduate early, some become super seniors, some sign up for the progressive degree program, and some even pull a Van Wilder, but for me, four years is perfect. You see the natural progression of college life through those four years, and I enjoy carpe diem-ing ever minute.

Speaking of Van Wilder, this guy Johnny Lechner has been a college student since 1994. Wow. At least he has multiple degrees, but why not continue your education at a different level? How about a masters degree Johnny? His logic makes no sense and he has by far the most poorly designed website I have ever seen. Actually no, this website may be the worst. Speaking of bad design, check out USC's newest sculpture...


I needed to know what this thing is, so I searched the USC website and found this description in the news section - "A stunning bronze fountain, "Generations," sculpted by Aris Demetrios, is up and running northwest of Leavey Library, across from Stoops Education Library."

It is far from stunning. It is awkward not only in appearance but also in location. It has no relation to the environment. It is a huge bronze block next to the library. It looks like cheap brushed metal and how it represents "Generations" is beyond me. You could argue that the different sections of the fountain and the flowing curves symbolize generations, but I think it's a stretch. It's just ugly. USC has one of the worst public sculpture/fountain collections I have ever seen. Like my other favorite ugly fountain near the Engineering School. I hope I don't look that emaciated when I graduate. Clearly, money doesn't buy taste.

More posts to come. Maybe. GGAAHhhhhh finals.

No comments: