April 25, 2009

unwigged and unplugged

and undoubtedly one of the best concerts I have been to!

(my photo, I was only a few rows away from them!)

Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, and Harry Shearer recently reunited to go on tour playing an all acoustic show focused on the fictional musicians they created in This is Spinal Tap and A Mighty Wind. I bought the tickets a few months ago when I found out about the tour. I didn't know who I was going to go with, I just knew I had to go. This is Spinal Tap and A Mighty Wind are brilliant mock-umentaries that beautifully combine comedy and great music. I enjoy both the rock and folk music they sing in these films, but above all I appreciate their dry-wit humor and its subtleties. For example in Spinal Tap the same bass notes are played by multiple musicians.

David St. Hubbins: Can you play a bass line like Nigel used to on "Big Bottom?" Can you double that? You might recall the line's in fifths.

These comedians played off this joke when performing for the Live Earth concert with 20 bass players. AKA: "every bass player in the known universe," including Foo Fighter's Nate Mendell and Metallica's Kirk Hammet. The humor in their films/performances not only includes musical satire but their characters also add a huge amount of comedy. For example, consider the shirt below. Here is the dialogue that accompanied this shirt in the film:

[Marty compliments Nigel on his tee shirt]
Nigel Tufnel: You like this?
Marty DiBergi: It's very nice. It looks like hollow wood.
Nigel Tufnel: This is my exact inner structure, done in a tee shirt. Exactly medically accurate. See?
Marty DiBergi: So in other words if we were to take all your flesh and blood...
Nigel Tufnel: Take them off. This is what you'd see.
Marty DiBergi: It wouldn't be green though.
[Nigel points at Marty]
Nigel Tufnel: It is green. You see how your blood looks blue.
Marty DiBergi: Yeah, well that's just the vein. That's the color of the vein. The blood is actually red.
Nigel Tufnel: Oh then, maybe it's not green. Anyway this is what I sleep in sometimes.


I bought this shirt at the concert. Awesome!

The concert contained this kind of humor but everything was "unwigged and unplugged," meaning the men were out of character and the show was acoustic. It may sound less entertaining because their ridiculous characters added to the humor of their films, but actually it was more amusing because it allowed for more comedy and an easy transition between songs. There was no opening act, so the men just came out and began the show.

They started essentially like this:



They performed a good amount of songs including a folksy version of The Rolling Stones' Start Me Up and a sexy jazz version of Big Bottom.





If the songs weren't funny enough, the men included a few little comedy routines, like awarding one lucky guest in the audience a special chance to experience Spinal Tap in 3D. Sounds cool, but it was basically the audience member standing in front of the stage in 3D glasses while the guys performed a song and waved their arms in front of his face. Absolutely brilliant!

At another point in the set they read from a NBC document stating what parts of Spinal Tap were inappropriate to air on TV. They started reading - 5 minutes in... 11 minutes in... The entire movie was deemed inappropriate, understandably in some points, but the document and the way they read it was hilarious.

I enjoyed every aspect of the concert and I laughed the entire time. My face even hurt after. It was a fantastic experience and I could easily write another book post, well, this is already pretty long but I will hold back and fondly remember my night with Spinal Tap! Joel and I deemed it epic!

Here is Keith Olbermann's report of the tour:

No comments: