April 20, 2009

artist's statement

blog assignment


When the people closest to me see an item that is both funky and nerdy sprinkled with whimsy and sprayed with color they always say, "that is so KP." This KP quality is difficult to define but recognizable like when a person has a certain je ne sais quoi. This quality is ever present not only in the items I buy but also in the art I create. I am not implying that my work has that appealing x factor, it just has the KP factor. The reason this factor is sometimes difficult to identify is because I don't have a specific style or medium. I do not have series or work tied together by some artistic motif, instead my work is connected by my personal aesthetic. I am attracted to unique but balanced and simple compositions with clever applications of colors. Being primarily a graphic designer, I am also guided by a subject and a purpose. This additional guide creates a puzzle for me where I have to find an adequate solution for my given project that also fits my personal aesthetic. I design by trial and error in order to find the right KP factor to satisfy my designated end. My technique is very calculated but also very freewheeling, but no matter the means, my end is always colored by KP.

1 comment:

Mike Lee said...

I really enjoy following your blog and work Katherine! Kudos to you for blogging on top of the Writing 340 assignments! WIN! Anyway, your artist statement really made a lot of sense to me. The simplicity and straightforwardness of your work is very professional, but distinctive at the same time. That’s important as a graphic designer. I think that its also really cool that you possess that marketable sensibility through your blog and website that many artists lack. Overall I think you have a really great approach to your work although I’m not quite sure if I can agree with you on the trial and error statement. What one person calls an error might not be to another. Well, you seem like you have a great practice going here, keep it up!