April 11, 2009

can I have it rare?


I typically watch movies while designing on my laptop, it provides a good range of background sound/entertainment but this multitasking is only possible if I have seen the movie before, otherwise I am easily distracted. Like today. While going through the free movies on TV I discovered Vampire In Brooklyn. That title was intriguing enough, it sounded like Underworld meets NY, but then I read the first name in the cast - Eddie Murphy. Eddie Murphy movies usually painfully include lots of characters played by Eddie Murphy. Which was true for this movie, but this movie is not Pluto Nash, it was actually watchable because it passed that fine of line of so-bad-it's-good entertainment.



I love vampires and the sexy dark culture associated with them. In fact, I pretty much am one - my canine teeth are ridiculous long, I am pale, I like working in the dark... I also love most vampire movies. My favorites including - Interview with a Vampire (incredible!), Underworld, The Addiction (Christopher Walken!), Dracula: Dead and Loving It (Oh Mel Brooks. I almost put down Young Frankenstein, but then realized - not vampires), The Lost Boys, Dracula (1931), Shadow of the Vampire (Willem Dafoe and John Malkovich!), and Bram Stoker's Dracula with Gary Oldman.

Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors and I am convinced he can do no wrong even if the movie itself is terrible. In each movie, he completely transforms himself, almost making him unrecognizable. In The Contender he plays Shelly Runyon, a ruthless balding politician. In Harry Potter he plays Sirius Black, Potter's poised and pretty badass godfather. He plays a terrorist from Kazakhstan in Air Force One. Oldman is also in one of my favorite movies, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, a crazy existential play inspired by two minor characters in Hamlet. Oldman is absolutely brilliant.

Despite my love for vampires and my frequent appreciation for absurdly bad movies (like Vampire in Brooklyn) I still cannot get myself to appreciate Twilight. My sister made me watch it in theaters, but I have no respect for vampires who sparkle. So wrong. But I managed to sit through it because of Robert Pattinson's sexiness. Oh yeah. PS - he plays Dali in one of his upcoming films. Less sexy for Pattinson, but interesting subject!




Considering my discovery of Vampire in Brooklyn, I will leave you with as awesome Eddie Murphy song.



I almost posted his Boogie In Your Butt song, which includes such fine lyrics as -

I ain't puttin no boogie in nobody's butt
That's nasty, man
What you talkin about
Puttin boogie in people's butt
Are you out yo mind or something?
Could go to jail for doin something like that

But I will leave that wonderful discovery up to you and your internet.

No comments: