April 8, 2009

extra extra...

read all about it. viva absurd news.

What people pay for in the news > tragedy, achievements, and absurdity. Well, this is obviously an oversimplification of news because current events, no matter the subject, are important to many people including me. Also, an insane amount of the population cares about celebrity gossip. But either way I am condensing highly profitable news into those 3 categories. I guess celebrity gossip can be absurd, but not absurd in terms of topic, absurd in that people care - a lot.

I think it's disgusting to profit off of tragedy, but people want to know what's happening, especially if it is dramatic. I hate achievements when advertised for ego but if advertised because of significant progress then I approve. Absurd news, even if tragic (dark humor), amuses me. I enjoy all types of humor. Hopefully you find the stories below as entertaining as I do. Unfortunately, some of the stories are not as good as the headlines.

Somali women flocking to port in hope of marrying pirates
>mostly about the pirates, less about the Somali women

Atlanta airport grooving to clean music
>the airport bought the rights to Shake Your Groove Thing, Bustin' Loose, and Fantastic Voyage and rewrote the lyrics to inspire cleanliness

Going 2 divorce you...
>a Saudi man divorced his wife with a text message. LOL

LineAqua glass sink basin, a mesmerizing vortex of toothpaste spit
>apparently the bloggers of Gizmodo are enchanted by spit in this new sink design

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Blazar: time-lapse video of gamma-ray sky

>hehe I love nerds. About a video made from the footage of the Fermi Gamma-Ray Space Telescope that has been orbiting Earth

For chimps, candy is dandy but steak is quicker
>Fantastic story! "Our results strongly suggest that wild chimpanzees exchange meat for sex, and do so on a long-term basis." That's obviously what she said.

And yet another unrelated video post. I saw She & Him in concert last year, and I will be seeing the "Him" (aka: M. Ward) at Coachella in a week. Yessshh!!!

No comments: