June 4, 2009

some great déjà vu

I am still revisiting all the big tourist attractions that I have seen before. Some people find the spent time and money a waste, but my previous trip to Rome was 9 years ago! I am sorry if I can't remember everything, but also I find that I appreciate everything more given my art and history education and my age. Yesterday I stood across from The School of Athens for about 20 minutes and I also strained my neck admiring the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Even considering these déjà vu experiences, I would still revisit the David (when in Florence), the Sistine Chapel, the Forum... Each time it is a new experience and it is always fantastic. It is like rewatching a great movie; clearly a trip to Rome is more expensive but also more precious.

Monday I saw Angels and Demons again... the movie is ok, the book is better, BUT the movie is better when you see it in the Piazza del Popolo. For those of you that have not seen the movie, that spot is kind of important. (It's the first altar of science!!)

Tuesday was a national Italian holiday, so we didn't have class. Instead I planned a trip to the catacombs of San Callisto. Apparently 5 Roman catacombs are open to the public and I happened to pick the same one that I visited with my father 9 years ago. That place is so cool! Just go. After the catacombs we stopped by the Basilica of St. John Lateran.



And yesterday, I went with my class to the Vatican Museum. Drool.

So, this week has been great. However, I have a test tomorrow. That always brings down the fun. I am convinced that studying while in Rome is a sin. I should be out exploring, but I am doing that tomorrow, after my cooking class.

Ciao!

No comments: